Today marks a celebration that runs deep within our company roots, World Environment Day! Every year on the 5th June we celebrate the environment by raising global awareness about how you can take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet. The celebration is run by the United Nations Environment Programme who co-ordinate environmental activities and assist developing countries by implementing environmentally active policies and practices.
Other than being an alternative education provider, here at Iliffe Arts we hope to spread our message through environmentally safe and productive practices; our RECC Project embodies just that.
The ‘RECC Project ’ (Recycle, Educate, Community, Crafts,) incorporates arts and crafts into creating environmentally friendly products. Part of our aim as a social enterprise is to educate people about how they can go green/ozone friendly. This project offers the local community fun, interactive workshops in which we give pre-used objects a new lease of life by re-inventing them. What we do helps to decrease pollution by stopping excess waste being thrown into landfill sites. The project uses recycled materials, which we then sell in our ‘Up-Cycle Shop’ to fund our Community Craft Workshops.
Our best selling products are part of the ‘Reggae Range’ with a bespoke collection of BBQ’s which are made to order in your own unique designs and colours, amongst many more exciting collections soon to be launched.
So what can YOU do to help the environment? Not to fear, we’ve put together a list of some fun things you can do this June to reduce your carbon footprint and celebrate World Environment Day!
- Clean out your closet and donate to charity.
- Get gardening and plant some new flowers.
- Go Vegetarian or Vegan for the day.
- Participate in a community clean-up.
- Get crafty and start your own recycled art project.
- Go for a walk.
- Play outdoor sports in your local park.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Go on a nature trail with your family.
- Grow your own food.
- Volunteer at your local charity shop.
- Build a bird feeder.
- Start your own eco blog.
- Make-do-and-mend, fix up old clothing.
- Start a compost heap.
- Have a garage sale.
- Visit a farmers market and buy locally sourced foods.
- Go strawberry picking.
- Set up a nature based photo shoot.
- Do some baking using organic ingredients.
- Support, volunteer or share info about Iliffe Arts RECC Project or attend a community craft workshop.
- Buy an up-cycled creation for the Iliffe Arts Up-Cycle Shop. Order your BBQ form the Reggae Range TODAY ready for the summer.
- Donate your unwanted things to us for our Up-Cycle Shop creations or donate to the RECC Project Crowd Fund.
The possibilities are endless! There is always a way in which you can contribute towards making your life more Eco-friendly and creative, so why not give it a try? Share and comment below to let us know what you will be doing this World Environment Day!